Today marks the official start of spring! Here’s six steps you can take to make sure your home HVAC system is ready for the heating-to-cooling transition:
1. Change your air filters. It is estimated that 80% of HVAC-related problems could be prevented by simply cleaning or replacing the air filters. Change yours at the start of spring, and once per month afterwards.
2. Seal air leaks around the home. If you have air leaks around your home, you could be paying up to 20% more on your energy bills. Luckily, these leaks can be sealed quickly using caulk or weatherstripping.
3. Install a programmable thermostat. This is the best time of the year to install a programmable thermostat. These devices can help you save money by using less energy when the house is empty.
4. Invest in an air filtration system. Spring allergies are here, and if you don’t have an air purifier, you could suffer from them inside your home. A professionally-installed air filtration system can remove airborne allergens, leaving your home’s air clean and safe.
5. Shut down your furnace. Your home heating system is about to go into hibernation for the next several months. Make sure it’s ready to run when you need it by cleaning the components and making sure there are no visible signs of damage before shutting it down.
6. Tune up your air conditioner. A professional A/C tune up can lower your energy bills, improve cooling capacity, and prevent costly breakdowns all summer long.
If you live in Fairfax County VA, trust the home heating and cooling experts at the Air Treatment Company to help you prepare your home for the spring season. We offer air conditioning services, thermostat installations, and more. Contact us online to get started with a free estimate, or call (703) 270-0881.