The New Year is a time when many of us focus on self-improvement, but what about home improvement? Your home is likely the largest investment you will make in your lifetime; take care of it, and it will take care of you for years to come.
Here are four home improvement resolutions that all Virginia homeowners should be making for 2017:
1. Improve household air quality.
When you hear the term “air pollution”, you probably picture an urban city or a series of smokestacks. What you probably don’t know is that the air in your home can be up to ten times more contaminated than even the dirtiest of cities. Investing in an air purification system can help prevent indoor air pollution and the health problems associated with it.
2. Reduce your risk of fire.
Residential fires are responsible for thousands of injuries and millions of dollars in property damage every year. Here are a few ways you can protect your home and family:
- Install smoke detectors on every floor and test the batteries monthly.
- Have your heating equipment (including your fireplace) inspected and cleaned each year.
- Clean your dryer exhaust vent every six months.
- Never leave a heat source (candles, fireplaces, stoves, etc.) unattended.
3. Extend the lifespan of your HVAC equipment.
We rely on our home HVAC systems to keep us comfortable year-round. A professional heating and cooling system tune-up just once per year can reduce energy consumption, improve comfort levels, and prevent future breakdowns.
4. Cut down on energy usage.
Whether you are doing it to save money or save the environment, cutting back on your energy consumption is easy. Here’s a few ways you can get started:
- Switch to LED light bulbs.
- Improve insulation levels.
- Upgrade to Energy Star appliances.
- Replace your HVAC air filters every month.
- Unplug electronics when they are not in use.
If you live in Fairfax County, trust the experts at Air Treatment Company to help you with all of your heating, cooling, and air quality needs. We offer a variety of services, including HVAC system installations, repairs, tune-ups, and more. Contact us online to get started, or give us a call at (703) 270-0881.