March is here, and before you know it, the hot temperatures will be here too. Now is a good time of the year to perform some basic maintenance on your air conditioner, so it is ready to run when the warm weather hits.
If you aren’t an HVAC professional, don’t worry. The cooling experts at Air Treatment Company are, and they have put together this simple step-by-step guide for prepping your air conditioner:
1. Remove any condenser covers. Many people use outdoor covers or blankets to protect their cooling system during the winter months. Accidentally leaving these covers on for just a short period of time can cause severe damage.
2. Inspect the enclosure panels. The panels on your unit must be in good condition if they are to protect the electrical components within the system. If your panels are damaged, misaligned, or simply missing, contact a qualified technician before turning your system on.
3. Clear debris on and around the condenser coils. If your condenser coils are covered in debris, they cannot release heat, which causes increased wear-and-tear. Clear off any debris which may have accumulated on the coils, and trim any branches within a three-foot radius to ensure good ventilation.
4. Change your air filter. Dirty air filters are the leading cause of air conditioner breakdowns. Clean or replace your filter at the start of the season, and again once every month.
5. Clean your vents. Make sure that your supply and return vents are completely clear. Use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to remove any buildup of dust, dirt, pet hair, or other debris.
6. Give it a test run. Once you have completed all of the above steps, power on your air conditioner and make sure it works. It’s better to find out that something is wrong now, rather than in the middle of a heat wave.
If this sounds like too much work, or you run into any problems along the way, the trained technicians at the Air Treatment Company are always here to help. Our professional cooling system tune-up can reduce your energy bills, prevent breakdowns, and improve your comfort all summer long. If you live in Fairfax County VA, call (703) 270-0881 to schedule your service.