When winter storms hit Virginia, it can leave houses without power. This will also shut off power to your heating system. Fortunately, generators can power to your heating system in the midst of an outage. Portable generators have the potential to leak the deadly gas carbon monoxide. Below are safety tips to keep in mind when you are using a generator.
- Never bring a generator inside your home.
- A generator should be placed or installed far away from the house.
- Generators should be kept dry.
- Do not touch a generator if your hands are wet. Water and electricity do not mix!
- Have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout your home.
- Remember to change the batteries in battery operated carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis.
- Do not use extension cords to power multiple appliances at once.
Generators provide you and your family with peace of mind. If you are interested in having a generator installed, call (703) 270-0881 and schedule an appointment that is convenient for you. We can install all makes and models of backup generators. Our generator technicians will get the job done right the first time.