When heating and cooling breakdowns occur, homeowners are left with a choice: should they repair the broken unit, or replace it altogether? This is a tough decision, and one that millions of people must make every year.
Fortunately for you, the pros at Air Treatment Company are here to ease the burden. We have more than 50 years of experience repairing and replacing HVAC systems across Virginia, here is our expert advice on what you should do:
Repair your HVAC system if:
- Your unit is less than 10 years old. If your HVAC system is less than ten years old, parts are more easily accessible, and can be purchased for cheaper. This leads to more affordable repairs.
- You are moving soon. Planning on selling your home? Investing in a new HVAC system won’t provide you with a good return on investment.
- It is a cheap fix. The 50% rule: if the repair is less than half the price of a new unit, you are better off getting it fixed.
Replace your HVAC system if:
- Your unit is old enough to drive. The average lifespan of a HVAC system is roughly 15 years. If yours is older than that, it likely does not meet modern-day standards and you are better off investing in a new one.
- Your energy-efficiency is steadily dropping. Does your energy bill keep rising, even though your thermostat has remained consistent? A failing HVAC system could be to blame and should be replaced.