These days, air conditioners are made to be pretty quiet and unnoticeable. So you might be surprised to hear some strange sounds coming from yours. If you’re hearing these five AC noises around your home, here’s what they mean and why you should be concerned about them.
1) Banging/Clanging: A banging noise is most likely the result of a loose or broken part inside your unit. It might be a connecting rod or piston shaft, among other things. A clanging noise could be a sign that your unit is failing and you’ll soon need a repair.
2) Clicking: A clicking noise from your AC is a normal part of your unit’s startup and shutdown. But constant clicking could be a sign of a failing thermostat or an electrical problem. Since they can be dangerous, you should keep an eye on any electrical issues.
3) Squealing: Squealing can be caused by a multitude of problems — a bad outdoor blower motor, a malfunctioning blower wheel, etc. Some units squeal upon starting up, which is fine. But, if you notice this is a newly occurring sound, you’ll want to get it checked out.
4) Rattling: Your AC may rattle if it’s starting to break down or if it’s clogged by leaves and twigs. It could also rattle because of an electrical contractor. Since that can cause damage to other parts of the unit, you should have some maintenance done on your AC.
5) Screaming: If your AC sounds like something out of a horror movie, turn it off ASAP since screaming could be a sign of a refrigerant leak or pressure problem. Call an HVAC professional right away to avoid any dangerous situations.
If you notice some strange AC noises, don’t get worries — call Air Treatment Company! We can diagnose the problem with your air conditioner and get it back to good working condition so you and your family can stay cool and comfortable all summer long. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at (703) 270-0881!