Nothing lasts forever, especially not our home cooling systems.
The average homeowner can expect to get about 15-20 years out of their HVAC system, depending on the model. That’s not bad, but proper maintenance can easily extend this lifespan by an additional 5-10 years.
Use the following tips from the experts at the Air Treatment Company to reduce wear-and-tear on your cooling system, lower your energy bills, and prevent costly breakdowns:
- Change your air filters every month. Dirty air filters are responsible for more than half of all air conditioner breakdowns. Clean or replace your filters once each month to keep dirt and dust out of your cooling system.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats can help you reduce wear and tear by turning off your air conditioner when it is not needed; such as when the house is empty.
- Give your condenser room to breathe. If you utilize central air conditioning, it is important to give your condenser (the outdoor unit) room to operate. Make sure it has at least two feet of space on all sides effectively to release heat.
- Upgrade your home’s insulation. If your insulation levels are insufficient, your cooling system must work harder to replace the cold air escaping your home. You can improve insulation in your walls, attic, and by sealing air leaks around your windows and doors.
- Schedule a professional tune-up every year. During a tune up, a licensed technician will clean, lubricate, and examine the different components of your cooling system. This not only improves energy efficiency, it allows you to identify potential issues before they lead to breakdowns.
If you live in Fairfax County VA, trust the experts at the Air Treatment Company to keep you cool this summer. We offer professional air conditioner installations, repairs, replacements, tune ups, maintenance services, and more. Contact us online to schedule your appointment, or call (703) 270-0881.