Nothing says spring like warm weather, freshly-bloomed flowers, and… pollen. If you are one of the 60 million Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies, you are already all too familiar with the green stuff.
But did you know pollen can also affect you inside? That’s right; if you aren’t careful, pollen can enter your home and trigger your allergies when you least expect it. Follow these tips from the experts at the Air Treatment Company to keep the pollen out this spring:
- Stay inside when pollen counts are high. Only go outside if you absolutely have to, and be quick about it. It doesn’t take long for pollen to attach itself to your skin, hair, and clothes.
- Use the air conditioner. Whether at home or in the car, keep the windows closed and set the air conditioner to recirculate.
- Keep your car in the garage. If you don’t have a garage, give your car a quick rinse whenever you can. Keep sanitizing wipes in your car so you don’t spread pollen after touching the door handle.
- Instill a no shoes policy in your home. Shoes can track in pollen, pesticides, and all other types of allergens. Place doormats at all of your entrances, and make guests remove their shoes immediately after entering.
- Wash your hair before bed. Your hair is a pollen magnet. If you lay down before showering, you will have a pillow and a face full of pollen all night long.
- Shower immediately after yard work. Think of pollen as a contaminant (which it is). After exposing yourself to a highly-contaminated environment, you will need to decontaminate (shower) as quickly as possible. Don’t even sit down – you will just spread it to your couch.
- Invest in a High-Efficiency Particulate Air filter. Also known as HEPA, these powerful filters can remove up to 99.97% of airborne contaminants in your home.
Homeowners across Fairfax County, Virginia trust the experts at the Air Treatment Company to keep their air clean and pollen-free. We offer a variety of air purification systems, HEPA filters, germicidal UV lights, and other products designed to improve your household air quality. Contact us online to learn more, or call (703) 270-0881.