Whether you are looking to save money or save the environment, there are plenty of things you can do to reduce energy usage this winter:
- Dial down the thermostat. Every degree you lower your thermostat can reduce your heating bill by 5%.
- Dress in your cozy clothes. Wearing your coziest sweater or robe around the house will help you forget you just turned down your thermostat.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. With a programmable thermostat, you can automatically set your heating system to use less energy when the house is empty or everyone is asleep.
- Seal air leaks around the house. If your house isn’t properly sealed, your money could be going out the window – literally.
- Take advantage of free sunlight. The sun is the world’s largest source of heat, and it’s completely free! Use it to your advantage by keeping your blinds open during the daytime.
- Switch your ceiling fan blades. Set your ceiling fan blades to rotate clockwise; this will push warm air that gathers near the ceiling back down into the room.
- Humidify your home. Sometimes, adding a little bit of moisture into the air is all it takes to make your home feel 5-10 degrees warmer.
- Upgrade to an Energy Star-certified HVAC system. Some units can pay for themselves in just a few years with the energy savings they provide.
- Change your air filters every month. Dirty furnace filters can compromise air quality, increase energy consumption, and make your HVAC system more likely to break down.
- Tune up your heating system. The filter isn’t the only thing in your furnace that needs routine cleaning. A professional tune-up can keep your heating system operating at peak capacity all winter long.
If you live in Fairfax County, Virginia, trust the home heating experts at Air Treatment Company to help keep you warm this winter without going over budget. We offer furnace installations, repairs, and maintenance services to homeowners in Fairfax, Vienna, Reston, McLean, and the surrounding area. Contact us online to get started, or call (703) 270-0881.