Most homeowners are under the assumption that a larger air conditioner will supply your home will more cooling comfort. While this makes sense in theory, it does not work when put to the test. Instead, you’ll need an air conditioner that is proportionate to the size of the room. Luckily, there is an exact formula that will help you figure out how many British Thermal Units (BTUs) you’ll need.
First, you will need to figure out the square footage of the room you would like to cool. For square and rectangular shaped rooms, just multiply the length times the width. For a triangular shaped room, multiply the length by the width and divide that in half.
Look at the information below courtesy of Energy Star to see how many BTUs your room will need for cooling comfort.
- 100 up to 150 Square Feet – 5,000 BTUs
- 150 up to 250 Square Feet – 6,000 BTUs
- 250 up to 300 Square Feet – 7,000 BTUs
- 300 up to 350 Square Feet – 8,000 BTUs
- 350 up to 400 Square Feet – 9,000 BTUs
- 400 up to 450 Square Feet – 10,000 BTUs
- 450 up to 550 Square Feet – 12,000 BTUs
- 550 up to 700 Square Feet – 14,000 BTUs
- 700 up to 1,000 Square Feet – 18,000 BTUs
- 1,000 up to 1,200 Square Feet – 21,000 BTUs
- 1,200 up to 1,400 Square Feet – 23,000 BTUs
- 1,400 up to 1,500 Square Feet – 24,000 BTUs
- 1,500 up to 2,000 Square Feet – 30,000 BTUs
- 2,000 up to 2,500 Square Feet – 34,000 BTUs
Still not sure how many BTUs you will need in order to keep cool? Don’t sweat it. Just turn to the NATE certified technicians at Air Treatment Company. We can help you find the air conditioner that is perfect for your particular home. Call (703) 270-0881 today to schedule an appointment.