Staying warm doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Use these eight tips from Air Treatment Company to keep cozy all winter long without breaking the bank.
- Turn down the thermostat. Every degree you lower your thermostat can save you up to 5% on your heating bill. Experiment to see which temperature is comfortable for your family, and don’t be afraid to drop it a few more degrees before climbing into bed each night.
- Change your furnace’s air filter. A dirty air filter allows dust and debris to enter your furnace, forcing it to work harder. For best results, clean or replace your air filter every month during the winter season.
- Find and seal air leaks. Air leaks allow cold drafts to enter your home, and warm air to escape it. Luckily, most air leaks are easy to detect and can quickly be sealed using weatherstripping or caulk.
- Close your fireplace damper. Your chimney damper should always remain closed when your fireplace is not in use. An open damper is like leaving a wide open window in your home, allowing warm air to escape through the chimney.
- Upgrade your insulation. Insulation keeps the warm air in your home and the cold air out of it. Scheduling a professional energy audit is the easiest way to find out if your home’s current insulation levels are adequate.
- Turn down your water heater. Most water heaters are set to 140º by default, but there is no need for them to be this hot. Turning the thermostat down to 120º can save you money and help prevent burning accidents.
- Use energy-efficient holiday lights. A festive lighting display is sure to spike your holiday spirit, but it can also spike your energy bill. The best way to deck the halls in your home is to use only energy-efficient LED bulbs, and turn off the lights before you go to bed.
- Schedule a furnace tune up. During a tune up, a professional technician will inspect, clean, and replace the various components in your furnace. This not only helps cut back on energy consumption, it can also extend the lifespan of your heating system.
If you live in Fairfax County, Virginia, trust the home heating experts at Air Treatment Company to help you save money this winter. We offer energy-efficient heating system installations, repairs, tune up services, and more. Contact us online to get started or give us a call at (703) 270-0881.